500 years! That’s a long time. 500 years ago Henry the VIII was king of England, and was still married to his first wife Catherine of Aragon and Francis I was king of France. 500 years ago Moctezuma II kept expanding the Aztec Empire, and Zhengde Emperor was the Ming Dynasty Emperor of China.
And 500 years ago Martin Luther nailed his famous 95 theses to a church door, igniting a revolution within and beyond the Catholic Church. You may recall that his provocative claim was that salvation is a free gift from God, that cannot be earned, but is freely given through faith in Jesus.
Isn’t that such a beautiful truth? How great is our God.
We think the 500-year anniversary of Reformation Day is a pretty important milestone to celebrate, so we’ve made it the uniting theme of our Spiritual Encouragement Week (SEW) 2017.
SEW 2017 will focus on celebrating the Reformation and the difference it has made in our lives as followers of Jesus by focusing on the Five Solas and related scripture, one each day of the week.
Sola Scriptura/Scripture Alone (Monday) -- Is. 40:8, II Tim. 3:16-17, Ps. 119:105
Sola Fide/Faith Alone (Tuesday) -- Eph. 2:8, James 2:17, 2 Pet. 3:18, Matt. 28:19, Rom. 1:16-17
Sola Gratia/Grace Alone (Wednesday) -- John 1:16, Tit. 2:11, Eph. 1:6 & 2:8-9, Rom 3:24
Solus Cristus/In Christ Alone (Thursday) -- John 3:16, I Tim. 2:5-7
Soli Deo Gloria/To God be the Glory (Friday) -- Ps. 149:3, 1 Cor. 6:19-20
Throughout the week, classroom devotions and worship will focus on these themes, and there will be opportunities for students to add personal reflections to a school-wide mural, participate in classroom discussions and personal reflections, and come together for a celebration of worship together on Wednesday & Friday afternoons.
Parents & grandparents, we invite you to journey through the Five Solas with us this week as well. How? Here’s a few ideas for you:
- Ask your student each day what Sola they learned about, and what it means to them.
- Together read the daily scripture passages, either in anticipation of the next day’s focus or as a recap of the day’s focus. These make great dinner or bedtime devotional material.
- Pray for your student, and all the students at WSCS this week, to gain a greater understanding of the gift of grace. The apostle Paul writes that the same God “who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion” (Philippians 1:6). That is a promise—a guarantee. Pray for God’s help and a willing spirit so that He can continue His work in you & your kids as He has promised to do. Pray also for the staff as they themselves prayerfully guide your kids through SEW.
- There will be a giant mural up in the main hallway of school that we will be adding to each day as the week progresses. Students & staff will be filling it with notes, pictures, Scripture verses, thoughts, and prayers. Please come look and reflect and pray at this mural, and please add whatever Jesus may put on your heart to our mural.
- Join us for all-school chapel on Wednesday at 2:20 in the gym, and again on Friday at 2:25 at Westend Church. We are celebrating God’s gift of grace all week, and would love to have you worship with us!
We consider it a privilege to be able to share in these discussions and experiences together as a school community during SEW 2017. We prayerfully anticipate the Lord working in our students’ hearts next week, and covet your prayers for the Holy Spirit to move powerfully as we reflect on the beautiful promise of God’s grace. To God be the glory!